Prince Charles accepted $1.19 million donation from Osama bin Laden

Image

LONDON: Prince Charles accepted a $1.19 million donation to his charitable trust from the family of 9/11 mastermind Osama bin Laden, The Sunday Times reported.

Although there is no suggestion of any wrongdoing by the Saudi family members, the revelation increases scrutiny on the 73-year-old prince’s charity organisations, which have been rocked by allegations of criminal wrongdoing.

Several of his advisers urged Charles not to take the donation from family patriarch Bakr bin Laden and his brother Shafiq — half-brothers of terror leader Osama — according to sources cited by the paper.

Charles, 73, agreed to the donation to the Prince of Wales Charitable Fund (PWCF) when he met Bakr, 76, at Clarence House in London in 2013, despite objections of advisers from the trust and his office, the paper reported.

Ian Cheshire, chairman of PWCF, said the donation was agreed by the five trustees at the time.

British police in Febr­uary launched an investigation into another of Charles’s charitable foundations over claims of a cash-for-honours scandal involving a Saudi businessman.

The head of The Prince’s Foundation resigned last year after an internal investigation into the allegations.

Michael Fawcett, chief executive of the foundation, had initially agreed to suspend his duties following newspaper revelations about his links to a Saudi national.

The man, tycoon Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz, had donated large sums to restoration projects of particular interest to Charles.

Fawcett, a former valet to the Prince of Wales who has been close to Queen Elizabeth II’s heir for decades, is alleged to have coordinated efforts to grant a royal honour and even UK citizenship to Mahfouz.

Mahfouz reportedly denies any wrongdoing.

The Charities Commi­ssion, which registers and oversees charities in England and Wales, said in November it had opened a formal probe into donations received by Mahfouz’s charitable trust which were intended for the prince’s foundation.

The Prince’s Foun­da­tion, set up in 1986, is not regulated by the Charities Commission but is registered with the Scottish Charity Regulator.

You May Also Like

Image

Threat made to JK Rowling after she tweeted for Salman Rushdie

SCOTLAND: Scotland police launched on Sunday an investigation against a report

Image

Babar Azam to receive Sitara-e-Imtiaz

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan captain Babar Azam was named among the recipients of the Sitara-e-Imtiaz

Image

Record profits of $48.4 billion for Aramco

RIYADH: Oil giant Saudi Aramco on Sunday unveiled record profits of $48.4 billion