Greece boat migrants weren’t provided with life jackets-food

Image

GUJRAT: Hundreds of migrants on board the boat that sank off southern Greece last month weren’t provided with life jackets and food, even after they paid the crew $100, said one of the Pakistani survivors who has returned to the country.

Usman Siddique, who was among the 12 Pakis­tanis who survived the tra­gedy, arrived at his hometown in Kaleki village on Gujrat’s outskirts on Friday, family sources confirmed. Since his return, he has met with several people whose loved ones perished in the accident.

Mr Siddique, 28, was a constable in the Gujrat police but took a year’s leave and decided to go to Italy along with his four friends, some being cops themselves. They left Gujrat for Libya in May.

At his residence, Mr Siddique told reporters that the crew collected money for the provision of life jackets before boarding the boat.

The boat was carrying at least 700 people with around 350 Pakistanis, mostly from Gujrat, Gujra­nwala, Mandi Bahauddin and Azad Kashmir reg­ions, according to Mr Siddique.

He claimed the boat was stranded at sea after it went off course.

Around 12 hours before the sinking, a helicopter took pictures and flew away, Mr Siddique said, adding that a cargo ship also stopped near the boat on the same day for more than an hour as the crew gave them water bottles and bread.

“Another ship arrived at the scene around 11pm and towed our boat with a rope, but as soon as the ship pulled the boat, it started breaking up.”

“There was a hue and cry as people were drowning. Some held on to the rope after falling off, which kept them alive”, Mr Siddique said, adding that a tourist ship arrived early in the morning and managed to get over 100 people to the shore.

He claimed there were still around 20,000 Pakistanis in human traffickers’ safe houses in Libya, waiting to be sent to Italy via boat.

Three of his friends were also at these safe houses while another, also a police constable, had lost his life in the tragedy.

“The trafficker had pledged to send us to the destination within 10 days of leaving Pakistan, but they never fulfilled the promises and commitments despite receiving money.”

For now, Mr Siddique is back at home after consultation with his family and parents. He was offered a legal permit to stay in Greece but declined the offer, as per family sources. Other Pakistani survivors who were still in Greece have accepted similar offers.
 

You May Also Like

Image

Pakistan Stock Exchange marked 98,000 points

KARACHI: Pakistan Stock Exchange above the 98,000 mark on Friday as share prices surged more than 2,000 points in intraday trade

Image

ICC warrant against Netanyahu political death of Israel: Iran Revolutionary Guards chief

TEHRAN: The head of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards described the arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court for Israeli Prime

Image

Gun attack on passenger vans in Lower Kurram death toll risen to 42

LOWER KURRAM: The death toll in yesterday’s gun attack on passenger vans in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Lower Kurram has risen to 42,