Kevin Pietersen cleared to play in 5th Ashes Test
16 August, 2013
LONDON: England batsman Kevin Pietersen is fit to play in the final Test against Australia following a scan of his injured knee, said the England and Wales Cricket Board.
Pietersen, 33, missed the two-Test series against New Zealand this year after injuring his knee in February and has been troubled by a calf problem since the second Ashes Test at Lord's.
“Kevin Pietersen had a precautionary scan on his right knee today [Wednesday] as part of an ongoing monitoring process following the bone bruising injury that occurred in February,” said the ECB in a statement on its website.
“Kevin remains available for selection for the fifth Ashes Test and will continue to receive treatment on his right knee as part of his rehabilitation programme.”
England team director Andy Flower refused Pietersen permission to make a rare appearance for his county Surrey in the Twenty20 Finals.
Ahmed handed Australia call-up for ODI series
Pakistan-born Fawad Ahmed is likely to make his full Australia debut over the next month after being named as the specialist spinner in the squad for six One-Day Internationals and two Twenty20 Internationals against England yesterday.
The 31-year-old former refugee, who received his Australian citizenship after a change in the law last month, has impressed selectors with his performances on the Australia A tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa.
“Fawad gets his opportunity as the squad's lead spinner,” said chief selector John Inverarity in a news release.
“He replaces Xavier Doherty, who had that role in the ICC Champions Trophy played in June. “Fawad has been a consistent wicket-taker on the Australia A tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa and the [selectors] are keen to see how he fares in international competition.”
Meanwhile, middle-order batsman Mitchell Marsh is replaced by Test batsman Steve Smith, while Test captain Michael Clarke will take charge of the one-day side with George Bailey continuing in his role as skipper of the Twenty20 side.
The 18-member squad will be reduced by three players after the Twenty20 matches in Southampton and Durham at the end of August before the one-day series begins in Edinburgh on September 3.