Wikileaks: MQM, Musharraf and ISI involved in May 12 incident
20 September, 2011
ISLAMABAD: Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) leader Dr Farooq Sattar told the US Consulate in Karachi that along with some workers of the MQM, former President Pervaiz Musharaf, some landlords, the ISI and other parties were involved in the May 12, 2007 incident in Karachi, WikiLeaks has disclosed.
According to the cable, Farooq Sattar agreed with the suggestion of deweaponsising the armed wing of the MQM and said his party would seriously consider this suggestion.
According to a secret diplomatic cable released by WikiLeaks, Charge d Affairs of US Consulate Peter Boday in a letter he wrote on May 17, 2007, said that he had a telephonic talk with MQM leader Dr Farooq Sattar in which he told him that May 12 had damaged the MQM's reputation, adding that an emergency meeting of the party had been convened in London to review the situation.
The report said that Farooq Sattar claimed that some workers of the MQM were involved in the incidents of 12 May while it was worrisome that the armed wing of the MQM was more active, adding that Farooq Sattar agreed with the suggestion that his party should think about de-weaponising the armed wing.
The report also said that in the 40-minute-long telephonic conversation, Dr Farooq Sattar said former President Pervez Musharaf, some landlords, the ISI and other parties were also involved in the May 12 incident. He claimed that he had tried more than once to contact Awami National Party leader Asfandyar Wali Khan.
Meanwhile. Asfandyar Wali Khan on 16 May told the US Consulate that he had tried to contact Farooq Sattar on May 12 but had failed to reach him. The report says Farooq Sattar agreed with the suggestion to decrease tension and enmity with the ANP after the May 12 incident.
According to the diplomatic cable, Farooq Sattar was worried about the decision of the emergency meeting of the MQM in London, adding that he had suggested that the MQM not support the protest rally of May 12 but MQM chief Altaf Hussain refused his suggestion.
The report said another diplomatic letter written on May 16 by the US Consulate in Karachi said the British High Commission told the US Consulate that British diplomats tried to convince Farooq Sattar not to stage a protest rally in favour of President Musharaf, adding that Farooq Sattar clearly refused the suggestion. He said their protest would be peaceful because violence was not in favour of any party.
The report said that another diplomatic mission on May 15 said Farooq Sattar was not informed about the planning of the violence on May 12. The MQM leader said the decision to hold a rally in favour of Pervez Musharaf was not made on his recommendation and that Altaf Hussain rejected his suggestion not to stage the protest.