Two military personnel gunned down in Karachi
27 July, 2016
KARACHI: Two military personnel were gunned down by four assailants riding motorcycles near Parking Plaza in the Cantonment area of the Sindh capital, police said on Tuesday.
The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) claimed responsibility for the attack in an email to the media.
The military personnel were travelling in a jeep when they came under attack. They were rushed to the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical College (JPMC) in a critical condition where Dr Seemi Jamali, director of the emergency department, confirmed their death.
According to the police, the deceased military personnel were identified as Lance Naik Abdul Razzaq and Havildar Khadim Hussain.
The assailants managed to flee taking advantage of the narrow lanes of the locality where the incident took place, senior police officer Raja Umar Khattab told the media. He said said the attackers approached the vehicle from the rear and attacked the personnel from the left side of the vehicle.
After the incident, security officials cordoned off the area. Forensic experts reached the scene and collected evidence for investigation.
Police officials said that 9mm pistol was used in the attack and they were investigating whether the weapon was used in a previous attack or not.
New M A Jinnah Road, where the incident took place, is a major artery of the metropolis and usually remains crowded at daytime. In December last year, two Military Police officials were killed when their vehicle came under a gun attack in the Cantonment area.
“Our forensic experts are looking for fingerprints, empty bullet shells, closed-circuit television footage or any other clues, and we will inform the media as soon as there are any updates,” a police official said.
Dr Kaleem Shaikh of the JPMC said that both men were shot in the head and face.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif condemned the terrorist attack on the military personnel in Karachi and vowed not to let terrorists derail the operation, which is being carried out to cleanse the city of such elements.
The prime minister directed the Ministry of Interior and the government of Sindh to hunt down the perpetrators. “We will not allow the terrorists to derail the ongoing operation for restoration of peace in Karachi,” the prime minister said in a statement released by his media office. He prayed for eternal peace to the departed souls and courage to the bereaved families.
President Mamnoon Hussain also condemned the terrorist attack on the military personnel and said the attackers would be brought to justice. The sacrifices of the martyred personnel would not go waste, a press release issued by the Presidency cited him as saying. The president said the operation against terrorists would continue in Karachi and other parts of the country till complete elimination of terrorists. He sympathised with the bereaved families and prayed for the departed souls.
Sindh Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah took notice of the attack and ordered investigation into the incident. Sindh Governor Dr Ishrat-ul-Ebad Khan condemned the attack and said that terrorists were trying to sabotage the peace of Karachi.
Later, funeral prayers for the late military personnel, Razzaq and Hussain, were offered on Tuesday night. Besides relatives and friends of the martyrs, Karachi Corps Commander Lt-Gen Naveed Mukhtar, Rangers Director General Maj-Gen Bilal Akbar, Sindh Home Minister Sohail Anwar Siyal, Sindh Police Inspector General A.D. Khowaja, Additional Inspector General of Sindh Police Mushtaq Mehar and senior officials of the Pakistan Army, Navy, Rangers and Sindh Police attended the funeral prayers.
On the occasion, the martyrs were given gun salutes and rose petals were showered on them. Later, their bodies were sent to their home towns in Dadu and Naushehro Feroze.