Three Rangers personnel among four killed in attacks
30 January, 2014
KARACHI: Four persons, including three Rangers officials, were killed and 10 others were injured in triple blasts in Nazimabad and North Nazimabad areas on Rangers on Wednesday. The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) owned up the attacks.
In the first incident, two consecutive cracker attacks on a check post killed a Rangers official and left six others injured.The injured were taken to the Abbasi Shaheed Hospital for treatment. One of the Rangers officials, Atiqur Rahman, succumbed to his injuries.
According to the police, two cracker attacks took place within a span of 10 minutes, the first blast targeting a Rangers mobile.Police arrested two suspects from the scene of the crime. The DIG West Javed Odho said an investigation into the attack was ongoing. It was likely that explosives had been planted at the scene, he added, but could not confirm this till the filing of this report.
Two of the injured were identified as Nadeem and Munir. A Chhipa ambulance driver, Zamir, was also injured.The Bomb Disposal Squad (BDS) reached the scene shortly. Rangers cordoned off the area when a third blast, which was a suicide attack, occurred in an area close by. The suicide blast left two Rangers personnel dead and five others injured. The martyred Rangers officials were identified as Sub-Inspector Javed and Sepoy Umair.
Eye-witnesses said the suicide bomber attempted to enter the Rangers Headquarters and the Rangers stopped him. He then blew himself up.Separately, six suspects, including two belonging to banned outfits, were arrested during a Rangers operation in the Shah Latif Town.
More than a thousand Rangers personnel took part in the operation and a large quantity of weapons and ammunition were also seized during the raid.Meanwhile, Sindh Information Minister Sharjeel Memon said the Nazimabad blasts targeting the Rangers were a cowardly act by the terrorists and that the Sindh government will continue its fight against the terrorist elements.
Talking to a private TV channel, Memon said that such attacks were a reaction of Sindh government's targeted operation against the terrorists and other criminal elements. "Such attacks can't deter the Sindh government, which is fighting terrorism alone," he said, adding that Rangers and police forces are brave and they are willing to fight. "They (forces) will continue to fight the terrorists as their morale is high," he said. "The Sindh government will continue targeted operation until each and every terrorist is eliminated."
The Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) Rabita Committee said Altaf Hussain strongly condemned the blasts. The committee demanded immediate arrest of the criminals involved in the blasts and a thorough investigation.
Sindh Inspector General Police (IGP) Shahid Nadeem Baloch sought a detailed report on the blasts. According to a statement, the police chief directed senior officers to review security plans for all important government buildings, police headquarters, police stations, check posts, Rangers headquarters, offices of intelligence agencies, etc. The IGP also ordered strict security for the Sindh Cultural Festival 2014. – Agencies
Our correspondents add: Police said the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan was behind the attacks. The Bomb Disposal Squad in its initial report said an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) was planted near the Rangers check post. It said bombs were packed in a box and it was connected with a cell phone. It said locally made explosive that contained ball bearings and nut bolts was used.
The attacks took place when the Rangers were busy checking people in the morning. SSP Amir Farooqi said they had found the head and other body parts of the bomber. After getting fingerprints and making sketches with the help of forensic experts, they have sent the data to Nadra for the identification of the bomber. Apparently, the bomber seems to be between 25 to 30 years of age but the exact identification will be made after the Nadra report.
According to the Rangers spokesman, the Shaheed Rangers official who spotted and intercepted the suicide bomber will be awarded the highest Rangers Gallantry Award.Investigation sources said the Rangers had taken a major part in curbing the terrorist activities in the city and were continuously raiding hideouts of banned militant organisations linked with the TTP.
The TTP was continuously targeting the Rangers. Two years ago, the militants attacked the same Sachal Headquarters with a vehicle based IED.Last year, many attacks were made on the Rangers and their vehicles in Sachal, Sohrab Goth, Korangi, Quaidabad, Manghopir, Taimuria and other parts of the city.
The IGP has formed a probing team under the supervision of Additional Inspector General of Police Shahid Hayat Khan comprising DIG (West) and SSP (Central).Sindh Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah condemned the terrorist attacks. He said terrorists were creating anxiety among the common people through such attacks. He said it was an evil conspiracy against the armed forces and innocent citizens.
Saluting the martyred Rangers, he said sacrifices of police and Rangers have increased confidence in common men. He said sympathies of the nation were with the law enforcement agencies.Federal Minister for Interior Chaudhry Nisar Ali khan has condemned the attack on Rangers officials in Karachi, a spokesman of the interior ministry said. He expressed sympathies with the families of Shuhada and prayed for the speedy recovery of injured. He sought a report on the incident.