Supreme Court orders action against TV channels
17 August, 2013
QUETTA: Chief Justice of Pakistan, Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry, expressing resentment over the irresponsible coverage of the private TV channels, directed the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA) to take action against the management of these channels.
Two members bench of the Supreme Court headed by Chief Justice was hearing a suo motu case about violence in Quetta and Bolan districts here at Quetta Registry of Supreme Court.
"The live coverage of Jinnah Avenue's like incidents are against the norms and cause panic among the public," CJ remarked while criticising the reporting of the TV channels.
The CJ said that issue of deteriorating law and order of Balochistan and attack on the Qaid residency were of utmost important nature, yet no remedial steps were seen to overcome the situation.
"How was it possible for judiciary to just pass an order and leave the situation to deteriorate," he maintained.
Chairman PEMRA on the occasion told the bench that show-cause notice had been issued to the management of the private channels for broadcasting the footage of the Qaid Residency attack.
CCPO Quetta Mir Zubair Mehmood assured the court that law enforcement agencies' personnel were determined to eliminate the terror from Balochistan and would continue their fight against the elements opposed to peace despite serious threats to their lives.
CJ Pakistan during the hearing of the case sought clarification of the allegation on Frontier Corps and other federal departments.
The Supreme Court bench also directed the Federal Interior Secretary, IG FC and Balochistan government to submit report before the bench in next hearing regarding law and order situation and their steps for its improvement.
The hearing of the case was adjourned for Aug 26.