Sharjeel Memon removed from his post of minister of works, services and archives
03 December, 2015
KARACHI: Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) leader Sharjeel Memon was removed from his post of minister of works, services and archives on Wednesday. “In exercise of powers conferred under clause 3 of Article 132 of the constitution, on the recommendation of Sindh CM and approval of Sindh governor, the status of Sharjeel Inam Memon as Sindh minister is hereby de-notified with immediate effect,” said a notification issued in this regard. The Sindh minister previously held the position of the provincial information minister before being replaced by Nisar Khuhro.
Memon, currently residing in Dubai, was put on the Exit Control List (ECL) on November 25. According to sources, the decision was taken on request of National Accountability Bureau (NAB). His portfolio was reshuffled in August, and he continued to hold the portfolio of the archives and local government departments and was given the additional charge of the works and services department.
Memon has reportedly not been in the country since the past few months, with some reports suggesting that he has been living between London and Dubai. Khuhro said in an interview last week that Memon’s name has been placed in the ECL, but he has not been booked in any criminal case. The announcement to sack the provincial minister came at the conclusion of a five-hour long Sindh apex committee meeting.