SC shows concern over grave situation in Balochistan
08 September, 2012
QUETTA: The Supreme Court on Friday expressed concern over the fate of missing persons, sectarian violence and mounting incidents of target killings in Balochistan.
Issuing an interim order, the SC declared the provincial government and FC report about missing persons unsatisfactory and ordered the defence and interior secretaries and the Dera Bugti Frontier Corps (FC) commandant to appear before the court.
Chief Justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Chaudhry expressed concern over the grave situation of Balochistan and lack of progress in implementation of court's orders for the improvement of law and order in the province.
"The world community is focusing on our country's affairs because the constitution and law is not being properly implemented," the court remarked, adding, "If we implement the law, situation will become normal and no one will interfere in our matters."
The CJP said, "If our own institutions investigate and make efforts to recover the missing persons it will a good omen for the country."
Justice Chaudhry also said, "There is no security for the people and their property. Today a police officer was shot dead, until and unless grand crackdown is carried out against criminal elements the situation will not improve."
FC Inspector General Major General Obaidullah Khattak apprised the bench that they were taking steps to improve the situation and establish writ of the government, adding that they would carry out an operation along with other law-enforcement agencies.
"FC is being blamed for the cases of missing persons. We identified eight cases but so far no progress has been made about those cases nor any missing person was produced," the CJP observed.
Balochistan Advocate General Amanullah Kinrani requested the court to give more time so that they could come up with significant development in missing persons' case.
To which, the CJP said that the FC IG was also seeking another month to make progress in the case. "Despite the orders of the court, neither Dera Bugti FC commandment appeared nor was missing person Kaho Bugti produced before the bench," he added.
After hearing the stance of the Balochistan AG and FC IG, the court in its order said that no healthy statement on the part of the government came up with the implementation of July 31 order. On July 31, the federal sectary, interior secretary, the defence secretary, the Balochistan chief secretary, the home secretary, the FC IG and the Balochistan Police IG had committed that the directives of the court would be implemented but the orders were yet to be implemented.
"When the federal defence secretary came to Quetta, it was hoped that some progress would be made in cases, including missing persons, sectarian killing, kidnapping for ransom, killings and others but he again left for Islamabad today," the bench remarked.
The court was informed that police investigation officer Jamil Kakar was killed in Quetta.
"This is a very dangerous situation. Earlier, a sessions judge was killed, many people belonging to Shia and Sunni sects were killed, but no accused has been arrested so far," the bench said, adding that illegal arms and vehicles were being used in these incidents.