SC orders action against illegal arms, vehicles
09 September, 2012
QUETTA: The Supreme Court (SC) on Saturday ordered police and Frontier Corps (FC) to launch a crackdown against illegal weapons and smuggled vehicles within three days.
A three-member bench of the apex court, comprising Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Iftikhar Chaudhry, Justice Khilji Arif Hussain and Justice Jawwad S Khawaja, heard the petition filed by the Balochistan Bar Association on the law and order situation in Balochistan.
The CJP issued an order that all orders passed by the SC should be dispatched to the prime minister, the Balochistan governor and chief minister indicating that the court orders had not been implemented. During the proceedings, Justice Chaudhry said that the entire proceedings were in the national interest and it did not make any difference if anyone did not approve of them.
The CJP said further the court would conclude this case as soon as possible as it would be troublesome if matters fell into the hands of others, making an implicit reference to the UN mission which is likely to arrive on September 10 to investigate forced disappearances in Balochistan.
The deputy attorney general told the court that the order regarding permits had been implemented. The court asked the defence secretary if the agencies could lawfully issue permits. The secretary said that the Balochistan Police inspector general had been contacted and told to arrest the permit holders. He said further a high-level meeting would be called to address the issue.
The CJP ordered police and the FC to launch a crackdown on transit permit holders in three days. The secretary requested the court to give them chance, adding that they would not disappoint the court. Quetta CPO Mir Zubair told the court that the Special Branch and police had no authority to issue transit permits, adding that the Inter-Services Intelligence and Military Intelligence were issuing them.
Justice Chaudhry asked Raja Irshad, counsel for FC, about the absence of the Dera Bugti FC commandant and missing person Kaho Bugti. The lawyer informed the court that the commandant was in Malakand and was on his way. He also said the commandant's holidays had been cancelled after he gave a statement that Kaho Bugti was not in his custody.
The CJP asked why didn't the commandant appear before the court, adding, "You know his court martial can be undertaken for not obeying the court order."
The FC lawyer informed the court that the FC was a federal force and he could not represent it anymore, saying that the attorney general should represent the FC. The CJP said, "That's your personal matter."
Balochistan Advocate General Amanullah Kinrani informed the court that the federal law secretary was busy with the Indian delegation in Islamabad. Kinrani also said the missing persons' list would be finalised in a few days.
On September 7, the CJP said, "If our own institutions investigate and make efforts to recover the missing persons it will a good omen for the country."
Justice Chaudhry had also said, "There is no security for the people and their property. Today a police officer was shot dead, until and unless grand crackdown is carried out against criminal elements the situation will not improve." Justice Chaudhry warned the officials that a UN delegation was on its way to Balochistan to review the situation of missing persons in the province, therefore, they must improve their state of affairs.
The chief justice of Pakistan also said there were 22 agencies working in Balochistan, a list of these agencies should be submitted to the court.
The court adjourned the hearing until September 19. Further proceedings will take place in Islamabad.