SC directs NAB to arrest all culprits in RPPs case
12 January, 2013
ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court (SC) on Friday directed the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) to submit a comprehensive report on January 15, identifying the officials behind the removal of investigators in the Rental Power Plants (RPPs) corruption case.
A three-member bench of the apex court, headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, while hearing the RPPs implementation case, directed the NAB chairman to look into the matter of investigation into the RPPs personally on a case-to-case basis.
The CJP told the NAB officials to work for strengthening the national institutions. He said the NAB's job was to eradicate corruption and not to protect it. He said the court decision was very explicit but no tangible action was taken by the NAB in the RPPs case.
He directed the officials to complete charge sheets (challans) against all the accused without any discrimination.
The bench, in its order, directed the NAB chairman to personally oversee the progress on the implementation of its verdict and initiate criminal proceedings against the accused, besides ensuring recovery of the amount.
Deputy Prosecutor General NAB Fauzi Zafar submitted before the court that Director General of the top anti-graft body Rawalpindi, Principal Secretary NAB Brigadier (retd) Farooq and Director General (DG) Operations Shehzad Bhatti were suspended for removing Asghar Khan from the probe.
The DPG told the court that all the officials had been assigned the task to probe the matter once again.
Justice Sh Azmat Saeed told him that all the persons who had been protecting the accused would have to face criminal proceedings as well.
Fauzi requested the bench to give him time for submission of a comprehensive report as he was not feeling well. The bench accepted his request and adjourned the hearing till January 15.