Roadside blast leaves 8 dead in Afghanistan
02 September, 2013
PARWAN: At least eight people were killed in a roadside bomb Parwan district of Afghanistan on Sunday.
A provincial governor says a vehicle carrying employees of a private mining company has struck a roadside bomb in northern Afghanistan‚ killing eight.
Parwan province leader Abdul Basir Salangi says five people also were wounded Saturday in Bagram district. He says all of the victims were either laborers or security guards of the company working in a chromite mine.
No group has claimed responsibility for the bombing‚ but‚ in confirming the incident Sunday‚ Salangi blamed the Afghan Taliban. The Taliban have previously targeted people working for mines as well as other development and infrastructure projects in Afghanistan.
The militants have recently escalated their activities in the country as U.S.-led foreign troops have begun drawing down their presence.