Pakistan News Service

Friday Jan 18, 2019, Jumada-al-awwal 11, 1440 Hijri
Pakistan News Home -> Tribune Corner -> News Details

Raheel Sharif ordered inquiry into the death of Aftab Ahmed

04 May, 2016

  Related News  
Joint opposition agreed on ToRs
Army approved combing operations against terrorists and militant groups
  More on this View All

KARACHI: The Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Gen Raheel Sharif on Wednesday ordered an inquiry into the death of Mutahidda Qaumi Movement (MQM) activist Aftab Ahmed, who died in the custody of Rangers paramilitary force under controversial circumstances.

While directing to hold an inquiry into Ahmed's death, the army chief instructed "justice must be done", the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said in a statement.

Meanwhile, the Rangers said in a press release they suspended an unspecified number of officials for their 'suspected involvement' in Ahmed's death.

Aftab Ahmed was said to a coordinator of senior MQM leader Farooq Sattar.

While doctors reserved the cause of death of Ahmed, the paramilitary force claimed that the activist died of heart failure.

The MQM, however, rejected the Rangers’ claim and blamed the force for brutally torturing the activist in custody and then influencing the post-mortem examination. It demanded an independent inquiry commission to determine the real cause of Ahmed’s death.

Rangers officials claimed that on early Tuesday morning Ahmed complained of “discomfort in breathing and chest congestion” and was rushed to the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre, where he died after 25 minutes of admission and treatment at the emergency unit of the health facility.

A brief statement issued by the Rangers said that Ahmed was arrested by the paramilitary force on May 1 “due to his involvement in several crimes” and an antiterrorism court was informed about his 90-day preventive detention for investigation.

“Early morning today [Tuesday] he complained of pain in the chest and he was immediately moved to hospital, where he died of cardiac failure,” it said, without mentioning as to how the Rangers determined the cause of death.

The account of Dr Seemin Jamali, the head of the JPMC’s emergency unit, did not support the Rangers’ version, as she told Dawn that Ahmed had “no pulse and no blood pressure” when he was brought to the hospital.

“The doctors and staff did their best and cardiopulmonary resuscitation was performed on the man but it failed to revive him,” she said about the treatment process.

The MQM activist’s autopsy was conducted by a team of doctors under the supervision of a judicial magistrate (south).

The information shared by doctors also raised questions about the cause of death as claimed by the Rangers.

“He was brought here at around 7:55am and he died during treatment at the emergency unit at around 8:20am,” Additional Police Surgeon Dr Kaleem Sheikh, who was part of the team which conducted the post-mortem examination, told reporters.

Dr Shaikh remained silent when asked whether the body bore marks of torture.

 What do you think about the story ? Leave your comments!

Heading (Optional)
Your Comments: *

Your Name:*
E-mail (Optional):
City (Optional):
Country (Optional):
Field marked(*) are mandatory.
Note. The PakTribune will publish as many comments as possible but cannot guarantee publication of all. PakTribune keeps its rights reserved to edit the comments for reasons of clarity, brevity and morality. The external links like http:// https:// etc... are not allowed for the time being to be posted inside comments to discourage spammers.

  Speak Out View All
Military Courts
Imran - Qadri long march
Candid Corner
Exclusive by
Lt. Col. Riaz Jafri (Retd)
Pakistan itself a victim of state-sponsored terrorism: Qamar Bajwa
Should You Try Napping During the Workday?
Suggested Sites