RPP accused placed on ECL
16 October, 2012
ISLAMABAD: Interior Ministry on Monday placed all 32 accused in Rental Power Project scam on Exit Control List (ECL) with immediate effect, our sources learnt on authority.
According to well-placed sources, the Ministry has moved as per the recommendations of the National Accountability Bureau (NAB). NAB is currently investigating these people as assigned through a verdict of the apex court.
The sources further said that NAB summoned and interrogated five out of total accused people here at its Headquarters on Monday. The interrogatory process lasted for more than 12 hours as the five were thoroughly screened one by one and collectively as well.
Five people including former finance minister Shaukat Tareen, Munawar Baseer Ahmad, and Sahid Rafi appeared before the NAB to respond to queries regarding their alleged involvement in the said scam.
It is pertinent to note here that earlier in June this year the NAB had asked the Interior Ministry to place these names on the Exit Control List. But the Ministry reportedly remained hesitant till now in doing the needful primarily due to the prime accused Raja Pervez Ashraf eventually becoming Prime Minister.
In line with a directive given by the Supreme Court in April, NAB had forwarded the names of a number of influential people, including federal ministers, secretaries and owners of RPPs, to the interior ministry for placing them on the ECL.
The accused list includes former gederal ministers for Water and Power and now Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf, Liaquat Ali Khan Jatoi, Tariq Hameed, former ginance minister Shaukat Tarin, former secretaries of water and power Shahid Rafi, Muhammad Ismail Qureshi and Ishfaq Mehmood, former finance secretary Salman Siddique, former chairmen of the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (Nepra) Khalid Saeed and Lt-Gen (retd) Saeed Uz Zafar, Genco chief executive officer Yousaf Ali, former managing directors of the Private Power Infrastructure Board (PPIB) Khalid Irfan Rahman, Fayyaz Elahi and Yousaf Memon, former managing directors of the Pakistan Electric Power Company (Pepco) Tahir Basharat Cheema and Munawar Baseer Ahmad and Pepco chief executive officers Muhammad Arif Saleem, Fazal Ahmad Khan and Chaudhry Muhammad Anwar.
Twelve RPPs whose property has been seized included Techno-E Power (on Summandri Road, Faisalabad), Young Generation (Satiana Road, Faisalabad), Techno-E Power (Sahuwal, Sialkot), Pakistan Power Resources (Guddu district, Kashmore), Karkay Karodeniz (a Turkish ship anchored in Karachi), Gulf Rental (Aimanabad, Gujranwala), Reshma Power (Raiwind Road, Lahore), Walters Power International Naudero-I (Larkana), Walters Power International Naudero-II (Larkana), M/s Alstome (Bhakki district, Sheikhupura), M/s General Electric Power (Sharqpur district, Sheikhupura) and Pakistan Power Resources (Piranghaib, Multan).
When the interior ministry did not put these names on the ECL the bureau sent a reminder. Before assuming charge of the prime minister, Raja Pervez had recorded his statement with NAB.
In April, the apex court had rescinded the RPP contracts and ordered NAB chairman Admiral (Retd) Fasih Bokhari to proceed with corruption references against those who were at the helm of affairs when the deals were signed between 2006 and 2008. The NAB has served notices on the owners and chief executives of all RPPs to pay Rs22 billion they had received from the government as mobilization advance for setting up power projects.
Raja Ashraf had welcomed the Supreme Court decision in a TV programme, but said the contracts with the RPPs had been signed during the Musharraf government in 2006. The agreements signed in 2008 had been approved by the federal cabinet, he said.