Pakistan summoned Indian deputy high commissioner
16 October, 2017
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Sunday summoned the Indian deputy high commissioner to lodge a formal protest over the unprovoked ceasefire violations by occupation forces in Azad Jammu and Kashmir. “Acting Director General (SA&SAARC) summoned the Indian Deputy High Commissioner and condemned the unprovoked ceasefire violations by the Indian occupation forces in Kotli/Nikial Sector on 14 October 2017, resulting in the martyrdom of two children (8-year-old Saad, resident of Kainat Dherri village, and 14-year-old Humayun, resident of village Balakot), and injuries to four others, including three children,” the Foreign Office said in a statement. Despite calls for restraint, India continues to indulge in ceasefire violations. In the current year, Indian forces have carried out more than 1,100 ceasefire violations along the Line of Control and the Working Boundary, resulting in killing of 47 innocent civilians and injuries to 159 others, as compared to 382 ceasefire violations last year.
“The deliberate targeting of civilians is indeed deplorable and contrary to human dignity and international human rights and humanitarian laws. The ceasefire violations by India are a threat to regional peace and security and may lead to a strategic miscalculation,” the statement said.
The acting director general urged the Indian side to respect the 2003 ceasefire arrangement, investigate the incidents of ceasefire violations, instruct the Indian forces to respect the ceasefire in letter and spirit and maintain peace on the LoC and the Working Boundary. He urged the Indian side to permit the UNMOGIP to play its mandated role as per the UN Security Council resolutions.