PM Gilani's contempt hearing adjourned till March 26
22 March, 2012
ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court on Thursday adjourned the hearing of the contempt of court case against Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani till March 26, our sources reported.
A seven-member bench headed by Justice Nasir Mulk was hearing the case.
Barrister Aitzaz Ahsan today presented the evidences in the SC.
Aitzaz Ahsan said that according to article 10 (a) transparent trial is a constitutional right of every citizen and the way the trial is being conducted contradicts article 10 (a).
"My justifications are misinterpreted," said the counsel of PM.
Ahsan said that the judges who issued a show cause notice to Gilani were not eligible to hear the case.
The court replied that if this stance of Ahsan is accepted, every defendant will be then free to challenge the court's eligibility.
Earlier, on Wednesday, the seven-member bench decided to conduct daily hearings from March 22.
Aitzaz said that, judging from the harsh language used in the 'six-option' decision given by the SC on January 10, it appears as if the judges had already decided to punish the prime minister.
Aitzaz further argued that the court could not proceed on the basis of assumptions as it was a criminal trial and decisions should be made only on evidences submitted before the court.