No deal for return to Pakistan: Musharraf
28 March, 2013
KARACHI: Former President General (Retd) Pervez Musharraf said Wednesday that he had not struck a deal with anybody and returned to Pakistan in the interest of the country.
"I am among those people who think of the country and people," Musharraf told reporters during his first press conference after returning to Pakistan.
Musharraf said that he cannot say how many constituencies he will be able to win but that he will run for elections from Karachi, adding that he has old relations with MQM.
The former President said his supporters had recommended he run for elections from NA-250 Defence constituency in Karachi.
Musharraf claimed that Pakistan had prospered during his eight year tenure, adding that he had been the only one to raise his voice against anti-state elements and those spreading terrorism. Musharraf added that others were either scared to raise their voice or were safeguarding their own interests.
When asked about the Kargil issue, the former president replied that he was proud of the Kargil operation. Muhsarraf denied handing over Dr. Aafia Siddiqui to the United States calling whoever did so a traitor.
On the US-led war on terror, he said Pakistan would have faced the combined military might of the US and India if it had not allied itself with America in its war against the Taliban in Afghanistan after the 9/11 terror attacks.
Defending his decision to join the US-led war on terror, he said it was in the interest of Pakistan and if he had not taken the decision, the country's fate would have been completely different. He said that he was ready to face every challenge.
Musharraf brushed aside all the allegations levelled against him, from the assassination of former Prime Minister Benaizr Bhutto and killing of Baloch leader Nawab Akber Bugti, declaring that in our parliamentary system, government affairs are run by the prime minister. He said that he was not involved in the murder of the two.