Musharraf's name will remain on ECL: Nisar
13 October, 2013
ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan has clarified that the name of General (r) Pervez Musharraf was on the Exit Control List (ECL) and will remain there until asked for removal by the highest court.
Speaking at a news conference on Saturday, he said that cases related to the Employees Old-age Benefits Institution, Trade Development Authority, New Islamabad International Airport, Pakistan State Oil and treason of Pervez Musharraf would be taken to the logical conclusion in six weeks.
He directed the FIA to expedite investigation in five high-profile cases and form a cell to address the complaints about corruption in government departments. He said that cases would be investigated without fear, favour or political considerations.
Nisar said after Eidul Azha, a system of awareness and protection would jointly be devised by NAB, FIA and Transparency International to help check instances of corruption in government departments. For this purpose, it would be ensured that there was not violation of procurement rules and misappropriation, he said.
He said that reforms were being introduced in the passport issuance system to facilitate the general public. "Urgent passport would be issued after four days of depositing of an application as against five at the moment, while ordinary passport would be handed over to the applicant in 10 days instead of 12 days at present."
Nisar said a home delivery system for passport was also being introduced to facilitate the applicants.
Similarly, applicants would be able to know the current status of their applications for passport through an SMS system, he said.
He said over more than two thousand illegally issued official and diplomatic passports had been cancelled with one stroke of the pen without any discrimination.
He said the official passports were issued to non-entitled people, including personal servants, and that some foreign countries had ended agreements for visa with Pakistan because of misuse of the passports by some people.
The interior minister said that hundreds of thousands of unaccounted for SIMs were being used for illegal activities and "this is not acceptable".
He said a meeting with the representatives of the cellular companies would be held soon and he himself would be hold meeting with heads of the companies to firm up a strategy to address the problem. He said the issue would be resolved with consideration of business interests of the companies, as lives of people were more important than monetary benefits.