Missing persons' case: IGFC appears in SC, contempt notice withdrawn
27 December, 2013
ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court on Thursday withdrew the contempt of court notice against Inspector General Frontier Corps (IGFC) Major General Ijaz Shahid as he appeared in-person before the court.
A two-judge bench of the Supreme Court, headed by Justice Nasirul Mulk and comprising Justice Ejaz Afzal Khan, withdrew the contempt notice while hearing the missing persons case from Balochistan.
Justice Nasirul Mulk remarked that the contempt notice had been taken back as the IGFC had personally appeared before the court.The contempt notice was issued against the IGFC on December 5 by then Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry for not appearing before the apex court even after repeated orders.
During the proceedings, Justice Ejaz Afzal told the IGFC counsel Irfan Qadir that the paramilitary force was accused of abducting people. He asked what steps had been taken to address the reasons for the missing persons cases.
IGFC Ijaz Shahid said it was a wrong perception that the FC was involved in the abduction of missing persons and termed the allegations baseless.
To verify his statement, he appraised the court about the production of Koh Khan, a missing person who was produced by the police from Quetta, and not by the FC. He said the allegation was against six FC personnel, which proved to be wrong as Koh Khan was produced by the police.
While seeking more time to respond in writing, Ijaz Shahid said he will give complete details about the missing persons.The court directed him to submit a written reply in the court on the next date of hearing and adjourned the hearing of the case till January 15.