Karachi Rangers should be sent back to borders: SC
02 November, 2012
KARACHI: The Supreme Court has said Pakistan Rangers were deployed in Karachi 18 years ago to maintain law and order but the situation was becoming critical by the day, adding the force should be sent back to safeguard borders and the funds being spent on Rangers should be spent on the Sindh Police instead so they could yield better results.
A five-member larger bench of the SC in its Karachi registry comprising Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali, Justice Sarmad Jalal Osmani, Justice Amir Hani Muslim and Justice Gulzar Ahmed was hearing a report on the implementation of the court's order in the Karachi unrest case on Thursday.
Sindh Advocate General Abdul Fattah Malik, Additional IG Iqbal Mehmood, AIG (Legal) Ali Sher Jakhrani, Sindh Prosecutor General Shahadat Awan, Additional Chief Secretary Wasim Ahmad and other officials were also present in the court.
Justice Khilji Arif Hussain asked Wasim Ahmad, "Which year were the Pakistan Rangers deployed in Karachi and what were its purposes?" Ahmad said, "It was deployed in Karachi in 1995 to maintain law and order situation in the city."
A report was produced before the bench that stated "there were a total of 2,381 important cases, including murder, and out of them only 661 suspects had been arrested while more than 3,500 remained at large".
Another report was produced before the bench by the traffic DIG about unregistered and non-custom paid vehicles. He submitted, "There are more than 15,000 public transport and 2.3 million other vehicles on the roads of the metropolis, while only 3,000 traffic personnel are available for to control the traffic." The court then ordered action against vehicles that were unregistered, non-duty paid, internationally registered or in poor condition.
Justice Khilji remarked there was no alternate system of public transport available and that not even 10 percent of public transport drivers had licences. A report about the culprits released on parole was presented in the court during the course of the hearing. As per the report, Prisons IG Zafar Bokhari said 226 persons had been released on parole. The court observed as per the list 193 among the accused released on parole had been convicted and sentenced and one was facing charges of murder, illegal arms and kidnapping for ransom.
Additional Home Secretary Wasim Ahmad informed the bench there were a large number of prisoners released on parole but they had been "missing" for the last seven years. Justice Hani remarked, "There is no legal provision or law for release of prisoners on parole, who were involved in case regarding diyat and qisas." Justice Khilji said, "Relevant judicial magistrate is the only authority who can release any under trial prisons on parole."
The IG replied the accused were set free on parole under the directives of the Home Department. Justice Osmani remarked, "We are fighting against the terrorists and the government is releasing them."
Justice Hani observed if this was the situation then the prisons' gates could be opened and whosoever wills may stay in jail and whosoever wills may leave. The court also observed that the Sindh Home Department was running a parallel judicial system in the province. Justice Sarmad Jalal Osmani inquired from the prisons IG the court be told on next hearing on what basis the accused involved in heinous crimes had been released on parole. The hearing of the case was adjourned sine dine.