Indian army ends Kashmir operation
09 October, 2013
SRINAGAR: The Indian army called off a two-week operation to hunt down suspected rebels in Indian-held Kashmir (IHK) on Tuesday after a series of gunbattles in which at least eight separatist fighters were killed.
"I have given directions to call off the concerted search operation," Lieutenant General Sanjiv Chachra, a senior commander, told reporters.
The general said that 59 heavy weapons had been recovered from the Keran area of Kashmir, along with a large amount of ammunition and rations. Markings on the weapons indicated the rebels had received help from the Pakistani army for their "infiltration" operation, Chachra added.
"It could not be possible without their support," the general added at a press conference in Srinagar. Last week, another senior commander said 12 militants were killed in a firefight near an abandoned village in the densely-forested area, but Chachra said only eight bodies had been recovered from the scene. "No other bodies have been found," Chachra said.
Chachra also denied that the militants had at any point occupied any forward posts or taken over any Indian-controlled territory in Keran. "The sanctity of the LoC is well maintained. We are prepared for the challenges," he said.