Indian aggression will always get a most befitting response: ISPR
23 January, 2018
ISLAMABAD: Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa Monday said that any Indian aggression or misadventure would always get a most befitting response, according to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR). During his visit to the Line of Control (LoC) and Working Boundary (WB) in the Khuiratta and Ratta Arayan sectors, the army chief issued directions for enhanced protective measures including the construction of community protection shelters for the civil population, a statement released by the ISPR said.
Gen Bajwa was apprised by the commanders about ceasefire violations by Indian troops, leading to loss of lives of the civilian population. The COAS lauded the effective response by Pakistani troops to the Indian aggression. He also hailed the determination of the local population against Indian unprovoked shelling and firing.
The COAS reiterated Pakistan Army’s commitment to abide by the ceasefire agreement of 2003, adding that the restraint should not be misconstrued as any limitation to respond to such aggression. Later, the army chief visited the Combined Military Hospital (CMH) Sialkot to meet the citizens injured due to recent Indian shelling.
The visit comes following India’s continued ceasefire violations along the LoC and the working boundary, resulting in the deaths of a number of innocent civilians, including Pakistani soldiers, and injuries to many others.
Pakistan lodged a strong protest with Indian High Commission last week over the repeated incidents of ceasefire violations as several civilians, including women, were martyred by unprovoked firing by the Indian security forces along the Line of Control (LoC).
The Foreign Office (FO) summoned Indian Deputy High Commissioner JP Singh multiple times over the week to lodge protest.
The Indian forces along the Line of Control and the Working Boundary are continuously targeting civilian populated areas with heavy mortars and automatic weapons.
In 2018, the Indian forces have carried out more than 150 ceasefire violations along the Line of Control and the Working Boundary in just 20 days, resulting in the martyrdom of nine innocent civilians, besides injuries to 40 others. This unprecedented escalation in ceasefire violations by India is continuing from the year 2017 when the Indian forces committed more than 1,900 ceasefire violations.
The deliberate targeting of civilian populated areas is indeed deplorable and contrary to human dignity, international human rights and humanitarian laws. The ceasefire violations by India are a threat to regional peace and security and may lead to a strategic miscalculation.