Pakistan News Service

Sunday Apr 22, 2018, Shaban 6, 1439 Hijri
Logo Logo
LATEST :
Pakistan News Home -> Afghanistan -> News Details

ISAF reports 7% decline in Taliban attacks

25 September, 2012

  Related News  
Pakistan backs Afghan-led peace process, Nawaz tells Afghans
Gunmen gun down 'chief financier' of Haqqani network in Islamabad
  Related Articles  
Afghanistan: Base of Terrorism
By Asif Haroon Raja
The US is after Haqqani network
By Asif Haroon Raja
  Related Speakout  
Talking with the Taliban
  More on this View All
  Related News Poll

KABUL: NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) has said attacks by anti-government armed groups against foreign forces declined by 17 percent in the first seven months of the current year, as compared to the same period in 2011.

Brigadier General Günter Katz, spokesman for the international force, told journalists here on Monday (Sept. 24) that attacks on their troops by armed rivals decreased by 9% percent in August 2012, as compared to the same month last year.

He said numerous attacks by the Taliban and other armed groups were repelled and the gunmen were ousted from key areas and cities of Afghanistan, adding capacity of the Afghan security forces has also been raised as a result decline in rival attacks were reported.

If we compare Taliban attacks conducted in the current year with attacks in 2010 then the attacks declined by 30 percent, he claimed.

He continued that if attacks in the first seven months of 2012 are compared with the same period in last year then these attacks decreased by 17 percent.

Brigadier General Günter Katz said Taliban were still using roadside bombs which, he said, cause casualties to civilians.

He, however, admitted that Taliban attacks and activities in some areas of the war ravaged Afghanistan increased this year.

He said ISAF findings suggested that near 80 percent Taliban attacks and operations were conducted in remote districts and far flung areas which has 20 percent population of Afghanistan.

ISAF reports decline in Taliban attacks at a time when some media reports suggested that Taliban were increased.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid rejected ISAF's claim as false and told Afghan Islamic Press (AIP), "We strongly and clearly rejected this claim.

Like the past, attacks by Taliban against the enemy continue while the enemy has retreated from numerous areas of the country and abandoned their major bases which resulted in decline in Taliban attacks."

End.

 What do you think about the story ? Leave your comments!

Heading (Optional)
Your Comments: *

Your Name:*
E-mail (Optional):
City (Optional):
Country (Optional):
 
 
Field marked(*) are mandatory.
Note. The PakTribune will publish as many comments as possible but cannot guarantee publication of all. PakTribune keeps its rights reserved to edit the comments for reasons of clarity, brevity and morality. The external links like http:// https:// etc... are not allowed for the time being to be posted inside comments to discourage spammers.

  Speak Out View All
Military Courts
Imran - Qadri long march
 
Candid Corner
Exclusive by
Lt. Col. Riaz Jafri (Retd)
Pakistan itself a victim of state-sponsored terrorism: Qamar Bajwa
Should You Try Napping During the Workday?
Suggested Sites