Healthy Breakfasts After Morning Workout
18 September, 2015
Healthy Breakfasts To Eat After A Morning Workout A morning run, is hands down the best way to kick start your day. But, how to energize yourself after a long run in the morning? While a morning workout or run is ideal to start the day on a healthy note, it is also important that you eat the right type of foods after running in the morning. It becomes necessary to provide your body with nutrients that will keep the cells and muscles in shape throughout the day. It is also important that you eat soon after working out or running in the morning as this helps evade muscle stiffness.
Nutrient quotient for food after morning runs
It is quite important that foods consumed after morning workout or run contain the right ratio of nutrients. After running, you can feel fatigued and the desire to gorge on carbs is normal but do not exclude protein. Ideally, for every 3 grams of carb you should eat 1 grams of protein. Not everyone likes munching on much solid food in the morning and they can combine solid food with beverages like shakes or smoothies.
Below listed are the ideal foods to eat after a morning run:
* Roasted chicken breast- Post run, your body needs a supply of protein and roasted chicken breast are source of low fat protein that is easy to digest. It should be cooked with minimal spice, but you can sprinkle some olive oil on top.
* Salmon sandwiches- Salmon is one fish that is replete with omega-3 fatty acids and potent antioxidants. Baking salmon fillets in the oven and using it a filling for sandwich is ideal for post workout meals. Use brown bread or bread made with whole grains. You may also use vegetables like capsicum and onion to make the sandwich.
* Chocolate milkshake- Consuming a large glass of chocolate milk gives your body oodles of carb, protein and B vitamins. You may even opt or cold chocolate milk.
* Banana – Banana is rich in potassium and it is also a healthy carb source. You can incorporate banana in your breakfast post running in a number of ways. Have a couple of bananas with whole grain bread sandwich or mix it with cereals. It is also okay if you use banana to make smoothie.
* Salads- Eating a bowl of salad after running is helpful and you can experiment with ingredients too. For example, you may keep seasonal vegetables and introduce fruits for variety. Fruits like pineapple, kiwi fruit and watermelon blend well with regular vegetables. You may also mix boiled slice egg or strips of boiled chicken top of the salad. This provides the protein you require. Use herbs like parsley, and black pepper to enhance the taste and flavor.
* Oats- Oats can be quite filling and they are also rich in digestive fibers. It is best if you can use steel cut oats. Besides, it is also a good source of carb and protein. If you do not like the taste, mix a few fruit slices.
* Yogurt- You can eat a cup of yogurt after working out or run. Try to eat the non-flavored or unsweetened variants for maximum health benefits. Eating Greek yogurt is even better since it contains protein in abundant amounts. To add to the taste, use berries or almonds on top of the yogurt.
While it is necessary to eat foods rich in protein, carbs and fiber after a morning run, it is also important to hydrate your body. It replenishes the body fluid lost through sweating. Drink a bottle of water after running or a glass of water fused with a few drops of lemon juice and honey.