Hafiz Saeed should be prosecuted as Washington regards him a terrorist: US State Dept
20 January, 2018
WASHINGTON: The United States Friday reiterated that the banned Jamaatud Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed should be prosecuted ‘to the fullest extent’ of the law as Washington regards him as a terrorist. Spokesperson for US Department of State Heather Nauert told media during a regular press briefing that Washington had already made its points and concerns clear to Islamabad in this regard. “US has sent a message to Islamabad to conduct precise operation against Saeed,” he said, adding, “We believe that this individual should be prosecuted. Pakistani government released him from house arrest not that long ago. We believe that he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”
The United Nations sanctioned Hafiz Saeed over his role in terrorist outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba, which was allegedly responsible for carrying out the Mumbai attacks in 2008 that killed 166 people. The US also desires the Lashkar-e-Taiba be labelled a terrorist organisation internationally. The White House has already clarified that there would be repercussions for US-Pakistan relations unless Islamabad takes action to detain and charge Hafiz Saeed. The JuD was released last year after the Lahore High Court (LHC) rejected the government’s request seeking a further extension in his house arrest. The review board of the court said there was not sufficient evidence to keep him under house arrest.