Gunman Sikandar is improving, starts talking
19 August, 2013
ISLAMABAD: Gunman Sikandar under treatment at the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (Pims) is said to be improving, as he has started talking, but it has been decided by his doctors to keep him in the ICU, while the hearing of the Supreme Court suo moto notice will be held today (Monday).
A Pims spokesperson said that Sikandar was stable and conscious, he was talking and his condition was out of danger.
However, Doctor Waseem Khawaja said that he would be kept in the ICU for a few days more and the doctors' team would decide about his discharge from the ICU.
Pims spokesperson said that psychiatry test of Sikandar would again be conducted and no one was being allowed to meet him while his security had been further beefed up.
Meanwhile, according to reports, an inquiry committee constituted by the interior minister has recorded statements of police and district administration officers clearly testifying that they had orders from the interior minister to arrest Sikandar alive and they in line with the order had prepared a strategy to disarm him but Zamurrad Khan's intervention at the nick of time foiled this strategy. Inquiry Committee will present its report to the interior minister on Monday (today).
On the other hand, a duty magistrate on Sunday issued one-day transit remand for Kanwal, wife of the gunman who was part of the high drama at the heart of the federal capital on Thursday. The accused was presented before magistrate's court located at the F-8 sector in Islamabad.
According to reports, Kanwal would be produced before an anti-terrorism court (ATC) on Monday.
Meanwhile, a joint investigation team has been formed to probe the firing incident in the federal capital.
Chief Commissioner Islamabad has issued notification regarding the constitution of the team.
According to sources, the joint team will consist of special representatives from Inter Services Intelligence (ISI), Intelligence Bureau (IB), CID, Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) and police.
The team will submit its report to the higher officials within 14 days.
Meanwhile, brother of gunman Nasir Hayat said that his brother took up the extreme measure in disappointment.
Talking to a private TV channel, he said that the matter was already settled in the course of five hours and his brother also was fatigued; however, Zamurrad Khan, violating the security cordon, risked the lives of the people.
Terming Sikandar's action in Islamabad reprehensible, Nasir noted that they came of a noble family adding Sikandar deserved penalty for whatever he did in Islamabad.
Sikandar, he informed, was the eldest of five siblings and all the family members were taken aback watching him brandishing weapons in his hands, adding he was frequently called up during the incident; however, he did not attend the phone.
Setting aside the reports that Sikandar was suffering from any psychological disorder, he said his son Yousuf was not in Dubai jail, adding he went to Dubai for vacationing.
Sikandar would unfold as to why all this happened only after he regained consciousness, he added.
Meanwhile, Bilqees Akhtar, mother of Sikandar, announced to disinherit him and dissociated from him, saying he had given his family, city and country a bad name.
Talking to media in Hafizabad on Sunday, Bilqees said that Sikandar should be punished according to law so that no one would dare take law in hand again. He said that she did not want to meet Sikandar.
She appealed to the Chief Justice of Pakistan and the prime minister to punish him for his deed and provide security to rest of the family as they were innocent and her son could harm them after getting released from prison.
She told the media persons that Sikandar's behaviour with the family was not good and he used to quarrel with them often. She said that his siblings did not speak to him due to his bad temper. She said that they did not know from where Sikandar got arms.
To a question, Bilqees said none of Sikandar's brothers used drugs and they were running their own businesses.
She also appealed to TV channels not to show her picture again and again as they had already been defamed enough.