Pakistan News Service

Tuesday Jan 22, 2019, Jumada-al-awwal 15, 1440 Hijri
Pakistan News Home -> Top -> News Details

Govt, TTP negotiators launch 'second phase' of peace talks

06 March, 2014

  Related News  
PM Nawaz wants all-out efforts for 'permanent' peace
Anti-Pakistan elements want to abandon ceasefire: Imran
  Related Articles  
Beware of the empire
By Jalees Hazir
Enough is enough: PAF Targeted Taliban Hideouts
By Zaheerul Hassan
  More on this View All

ISLAMABAD: The government and Taliban negotiators resumed peace talks on Wednesday and said they were ready to move to a decisive "second phase" even as a militant attack killed six military personnel.

The government opened negotiations with the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) last month in a bid to end their bloody seven-year insurgency, but the process broke down more than two weeks ago after militants killed 23 kidnapped soldiers. The Taliban announced a month-long ceasefire at the weekend and the two sides met in the country's northwest on Wednesday. The resumption came despite a major attack in Islamabad on Monday claimed by a splinter group that killed 11 people and a roadside bomb killing six paramilitary troops on Wednesday.

A joint statement read out after the meeting in Akora Khattak, 50 kilometres east of Peshawar said the talks had entered a "crucial stage". Lead government negotiator Irfan Siddiqui told reporters they had made "satisfactory" progress. "We are now launching the second phase of the dialogue after completion of the first one, which focused on mutual consultations," he said. "The second phase will be of decision-making and we have to make important and far-reaching decisions."

The government and Taliban committees expressed the resolve to carry forward the peace process for the elimination of terrorism in the country. Irfan Siddiqui told reporters that the dialogue process had now entered a new phase. "We have moved to a new phase, where we have to take some important decisions." He said the Taliban committee members had requested for a meeting with Prime Minister Nawaz. The government committee would facilitate in arranging the meeting, he added.

The two committees reviewed the situation after the announcement of ceasefire by the Taliban and halting of operations by the security forces. They expressed satisfaction that they had succeeded in making the two sides announce a ceasefire and that no action was being taken nowadays by them. Irfan Siddiqui said Maulana Samiul Haq was taken into confidence on the proposals given to the prime minister by the government committee. There was a positive response from the Taliban committee, he added.

More than 110 people have been killed in militant attacks since Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif announced talks with the TTP in late January. As a result some observers have questioned Nawaz's dialogue strategy, suggesting that the TTP is either insincere or simply unable to control the various militant groups carrying out attacks in Pakistan. There have been rumours of splits within the militant movement over the talks, with some hardliners opposed to the process. The TTP, an umbrella grouping of different militant factions, distanced itself from Monday's attack, the deadliest in the capital since a huge truck bomb hit the city's Marriott Hotel in 2008.

A new group called Ahrar-ul-Hind admitted to that attack, while Wednesday's roadside bomb was claimed by the Ansarul Mujahideen militant group. Ansarul Mujahideen has been active in the restive tribal areas along the Afghan border for around three years. The group's spokesman Abu Baseer told AFP: "We have carried out this attack to avenge drone victims. We are not part of the Pakistani Taliban so we aren't bound by their ceasefire."

The TTP ceasefire prompted the government to suspend air strikes on militant targets in the tribal areas that had killed more than 100 insurgents, according to security officials. The ceasefire announcement was met with scepticism by some analysts, who said it may be a tactic to allow the militants to regroup after they had suffered heavy losses in air strikes.

Maulana Samiul Haq, leading the TTP's talks team, urged the government not to let negotiations be derailed by attacks, saying the "enemy will leave no stone unturned to prevent this process from reaching logical conclusion." The government has struck peace agreements with the Pakistani Taliban several times in the past but they have failed to yield lasting results.


 What do you think about the story ? Leave your comments!

Heading (Optional)
Your Comments: *

Your Name:*
E-mail (Optional):
City (Optional):
Country (Optional):
Field marked(*) are mandatory.
Note. The PakTribune will publish as many comments as possible but cannot guarantee publication of all. PakTribune keeps its rights reserved to edit the comments for reasons of clarity, brevity and morality. The external links like http:// https:// etc... are not allowed for the time being to be posted inside comments to discourage spammers.

  Speak Out View All
Military Courts
Imran - Qadri long march
Candid Corner
Exclusive by
Lt. Col. Riaz Jafri (Retd)
Pakistan itself a victim of state-sponsored terrorism: Qamar Bajwa
Should You Try Napping During the Workday?
Suggested Sites