Eliminate no-go areas in Karachi by April 4: CJP Iftikhar
30 March, 2013
ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court on Friday directed police and Rangers to eliminate no-go areas in Karachi.
The Karachi police admitted before the Supreme Court that police officials are demoralised because the killers of their colleagues are not being arrested and prosecuted.
During the hearing of suo motu case regarding no-go areas in Karachi, Deputy Inspector General (DIG) West Karachi Zaffar Abbas Bukhari also told the court that police had lost 28 men this year alone. He said that Qari Bilal, murderer of social activist Perven Rehman, had been killed by police on March 13.
Bukhari told the court that when he was DIG Special Branch in 2011, he had warned the government regarding the existence of Taliban in Karachi, but it did not take any concrete steps against them.
The officer further said 150 to 200 men of Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan in Karachi carrying out different criminal activities and when hunted they change their locations. A five-member bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry has sought response from Rangers Karachi director general and IG Sindh regarding a media report about no-go areas in Karachi.
The court observed that if the report was right why had the two agencies failed to open such no-go areas. The court noted that if the report was found incorrect then why is the law and order situation not been improving.