EOBI case: SC issues contempt notice to TV channel CEO
29 August, 2013
ISLAMABAD: Hearing a suo motu case about the Rs 40 billion scandal in the Employees' Old-Age Benefits Institution (EOBI), the Supreme Court has issued a contempt notice to the central executive officer (CEO) of a private television channel for not submitting the recording and Urdu transcript of a news show, in which a column of a former legal adviser to the EOBI, Babar Sattar, was highlighted by the anchorperson.
A three-member bench of the apex court, headed by Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali, issued a show-cause notice to the CEO of a private TV channel by asking why contempt proceedings should not be initiated against him.
The court directed the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) not to take further action against the accused persons until the next hearing of the case.
The bench also asked the EOBI whether it wanted to retain the property or amount in the scandal.
It refused to accept the Defence Housing Authority's (DHA) request regarding the immediate withdrawal of Rs 139.5 million and asked it to submit a bank statement about its accounts.
The court also directed the FIA to submit its final report about the EOBI scandal until September 17.
During the hearing, the counsels of several companies told the bench that despite their cooperation with the FIA, their clients were being harassed.
In its interim report, the FIA submitted that DHA officials were not cooperating with the agency. Justice Jamali said that it was not the first scam in the EOBI, and that the department had already invested money in a bank, which had caused a loss of billions of rupees.
The hearing of the case was later adjourned until September 17.