Davis case: Blood money paid from govt fund
17 March, 2011
ISLAMABAD: The compensation money paid to the heirs of two slain Pakistani nationals — Faizan and Faheem — who were shot dead at the Qartaba Chowk, Lahore, by CIA contractor Raymond Davis on January 27, was paid from the government’s funds.
The release and departure of Raymond Davis was not any abrupt happening but was well planned as serious activities had been going on since the last week, and the heirs were also present in the federal capital.
Sources said that negotiations were going on between the heirs and the government to solve the issue, while some important officials of the US administration also joined them on many occasions.
The sources revealed that the issue of Diyat was resolved between the government and the heirs of Faizan and Faheem. According to the agreed-upon formula, the blood-money of Rs200 million was paid from the government fund for the sake of national self-respect and no money was taken from the United States.
The sources said that as per the deal, Rs100 million each were paid to the families of two slain youths. Three days ago, when the final talks were going on with the heirs, the widow of Faizan refused to take Rs25 million blood-money, saying it was not enough. President Asif Ali Zardari was informed of the stand of Faizan’s widow, and after that she was paid Rs50 million.
As per the deal, the state will bear the expenses of education, employment and other needs of the children of the deceased. The heirs will stay in the US, and in a few days will reach Dubai. At present, they were shifted from their homes to some safe place from where they would be sent abroad.
Moreover, the country saw protests after the sudden release US national Raymond Davis on Wednesday while leaders of Jamaat-e-Islami (JI), JUI-F, PML-Q, Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf (PTI) and others strongly condemned the development.
Within a couple of hours after the news of Raymond’s release was broadcast by television channels, workers of some religious and political parties, except the PML-N, PPP and MQM, came out on the roads expressing their anger against the release of the American who had killed two Pakistani citizens in the last of week of January in Lahore.
The JI and PTI leaders led protests in major cities, including Karachi, Lahore, Rawalpindi, Islamabad and Multan. According to reports, the police arrested a number of protesters and also used baton charge to disperse them.
Likewise, a big rally was taken out in Rawalpindi where the JI workers blocked the Murree Road, burnt tyres and raised slogans against the federal and Punjab governments. JI Amir Syed Munawwar Hasan alleged that both the federal and provincial governments and the country’s agencies were involved in the abrupt release of Raymond Davis. He said the family members of two youth were pressurised to reach a settlement with Davis. “How come it is possible that all the matters, including payment of compensation to family members of the two victims, release of Davis and his departure, were completed within a few hours,” he said.
Munawwar Hasan said the government compromised on security and dignity of the country and pressurised the family members of Faizan and Faheem to sign the compensation deal with Raymond Davis. “I cannot find words to condemn the release of an important CIA agent through a silent deal,” he said.
JUI-F chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman said that a ‘condemnation day’ would be observed on Friday (March 18) and demonstrations would be staged all over the country on March 25. “The government has committed a crime by releasing a criminal of the whole nation,” he said.
Ex-DG ISI Lt Gen (retd) Hameed Gul went to the extent of calling the leaders of parties ruling in the Centre and the Punjab as traitors and Mir Sadiqs and Mir Jaffers of the day.