Commander among two Taliban killed in air strike
21 July, 2012
KABUL: Afghan and coalition force killed two Taliban during an operation in Sabari district of Khost province yesterday and detained several others in Takhar and Kandahar province, NATO's ISAF said Friday.
The operation targeted a Haqqani leader Abdul Wali who allegedly led a cell that specialized in the production of improvised explosive devices in Sabar district, ISAF said in a statement.
"During the operation the Afghan and coalition security force conducted a precision airstrike. After the airstrike, during the follow-on assessment, the security force confirmed Abdul Wali and one other insurgent had been killed in the strike. The follow-on assessment also confirmed the airstrike had not injured any civilians or damaged any civilian property," it added.
The statement Abdul Wali was also "responsible for coordinating the shipment and distribution of explosive materials to insurgents throughout the district."
Rokhan, police chief of Sabari district confirmed to Afghan Islamic Press (AIP) that the operation was conducted in Zambar area in which a local commander of Haqqani Network and his aide were killed, Abdul Mueed, were killed.
Meanwhile, ISAF said Afghan and coalition forces detained two suspected fighters of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU) in Ishkamish district of northern Takhar province today (Frieday).
The security force also seized several improvised explosive device components as a result of thes operation targeting a leader of IMU.
ISAF also reported capturing several Taliban suspects in Shah Wali Kot district of Kandahar province today.There was no word by Taliban in this regard.