Chaman border crossing will stay closed until Afghan govt addresses Pakistanís reservations: Sartaj Aziz
10 May, 2017
ISLAMABAD: Adviser to Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz on Tuesday remarked that Chaman border crossing will stay closed until Afghanistan government addresses Pakistan’s reservations.
In a meeting with Afghan Ambassador Omar Zakhilwal at the Foreign Office, the advisor said that Afghan forces targeted innocent citizens in firing at census team in Chaman villages. He said that Kabul should have taken up its issues with Pakistan through diplomatic channels. On May 5, at least 11 people were martyred and 46 injured when Afghan border forces opened fire on Frontier Corps Balochistan soldiers deployed for security of a census team near the Chaman border.
Meanwhile, Pakistan and Afghanistan have completed the joint survey of Killi Luqman and Killi Jahangir villages to determine correct geographical boundaries.
The decision to conduct a geographical survey of the villages was taken in a flag meeting between the officials of the two countries held at Bab-e-Dosti following last week’s deadly clashes. The survey report has been dispatched to Kabul. The educational institutions located in Chaman area have reopened and tension scaled down on Chaman border. All the activities remained suspended on Bab-e-Dosti for fifth consecutive day. Visa section was still closed and trade activities as well as movement of pedestrians suspended. Despite recent Pak-Afghan tensions on Chaman border, Pakistan in a goodwill gesture allowed 14 ill Afghanis to leave for Kabul on humanitarian grounds after verifying their passports.