Cell service to be suspended in some areas: Malik
27 October, 2012
ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Rehman Malik said on Friday that cell service would be suspended in sensitive parts of the country for four hours on Eidul Azha. Addressing a press conference, the interior minister said that in view of intelligence reports, which have sighted terrorist threats in sensitive parts of the country, mobile services would be suspended during 6am to 10am. Previously, the government had blocked the service during Youm-e-Ishq-e-Rasool (PBUH) and Eidul Fitr in a bid to keep any probable act of terrorism at bay.
However, the minister refused to disclose the cities in which the mobile service would be suspended due to security reasons, but said that service would be suspended in three cities of Punjab, two of Sindh, 20 of Balochistan and in some areas of the federal capital.
He said that mobile service is being suspended on recommendations of provinces.
Regarding terrorist attack in Afghanistan, he said, "We strongly condemn the attack."
In response to a question, he said that Nawaz Sharif reposed trust in FIA regarding the Asghar Khan case and "we would not let his trust down".
He said that there is no consensus among the PML-N leaders regarding probe into the Asghar Khan case. "There are some elements within the PML-N who wish Nawaz Sharif should pack up his bag," he added. Regarding Shahbaz Sharif's statement, the minister said that it is regrettable that Shahbaz said that he has no confidence in FIA. "It is the same FIA which Shahbaz used to trust during the tenure of PML-N government," he said. He said that the PML-N must show "morality and maturity" in all affairs. The interior minister said that the PML-N has the tradition of taking "U turns". He said strict security would be in place on Eid days.