COAS directed corps commanders to intensify targeted operations
10 August, 2016
ISLAMABAD: Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Raheel Sharif directed the corps commanders and intelligence outfits to further intensify the combing and targeted operations with the aim to eliminate terrorists and sleeper cells.
Addressing the Corps Commanders’ Conference at the General Headquarters, the army chief said, “The cowardly terror attack on Pakistan’s judiciary, carried out in a hospital, is an attempt to undermine the successes of Operation Zarb-e-Azb.” General Raheel said that by adopting a national approach, the armed forces would not allow anyone to reverse the gains made in the fight against terrorism.
All commanders were also directed to provide all necessary assistance to provincial law enforcement agencies in capacity building, training and planning to further improve effectiveness in counterterrorism operations.
The forum also expressed its deepest sympathies with the grieving families and injured of the Quetta blast.
Participants of the conference were given detailed briefings on the ongoing military operations and the overall external and internal security situation of the country, with a particular reference to the counterterrorism domain.
It may be mentioned here that 72 people lost their lives in Monday’ bombing. Both the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and the Islamic State have asserted responsibility for the attack, though neither claim has been verified by the authorities.
The IS claim, if true, would make it the group’s deadliest attack so far in Pakistan, where it has struggled for purchase.
The TTP faction that claimed the attack, Jamaatul Ahrar, was formed in 2014. It also claimed responsibility for Pakistan’s deadliest blast so far this year – the Lahore Easter bombing that killed 75 people, mostly women and children. Hours after the Jamaatul Ahrar announcement, the Islamic State also claimed the attack.