Bugti murder case: Musharraf's plea for exemption from hearing rejected
11 September, 2013
QUETTA: Anti-Terrorism Court on Tuesday rejected a petition by former president General (r) Pervez Musharraf seeking exemption from appearing in court in Nawab Akbar Bugti assassination case.
The court issued production orders of Musharraf and ordered authorities to ensure his arrest. The court also ordered authorities to act upon the orders of Balochistan High Court regarding the arrest of other accused who are living abroad.
Judge Tariq Anwar Kasi heard the case, as the counsel for Musharraf, Zeeshan Cheema, and Jamil Akbar Bugti's lawyer, Sohail Rajpoot, also appeared before the court.
The court asked the investigation team about its progress. The team told the court that other accused in the case, including former prime minister Shaukat Aziz, former Balochistan governor Owais Ahmad Ghani and former Dera Bugti DCO Abdul Samad Lasi, were abroad.
The court then ordered the team to meet all legal requirements and arrest the accused.
Zeeshan Cheema requested the court to allow his client immunity from appearing in court but the court said that all the accused should be produced before it.
The court also gave the "last chance" to Aftab Ahmad Sherpao and said it would not accept any application of exemption from appearing in court from him in the future.
The court re-issued arrest warrants of the accused and adjourned the hearing until September 30.
"We have informed the court that the government is not showing seriousness to bring the accused to book," Sohail Rajput told the media after the hearing.
He alleged that the investigation team was not honouring Balochistan High Court's order to meet legal requirements and bring all the accused in court. He added it was a "very sensitive case" but the way investigation team had been acting was "surprising".