Pakistan News Service

Friday Apr 25, 2014, Jumada-al-thani 24, 1435 Hijri
Logo Logo
LATEST :
Pakistan News Home -> Afghanistan -> News Details

Blast accident in Kabul arms depot triggers alarm

13 December, 2013

KABUL: An accidental explosion in an arms depot shook central Kabul on Thursday, with Afghan officials moving quickly to allay fears of an attack on the city that has often been targeted by militants.

The loud blast erupted close to the NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) headquarters and in an area of the capital that houses many embassies and international institutions. ISAF confirmed that the explosion occurred outside their headquarters, while the US embassy sounded its emergency "duck and cover" sirens to warn employees to seek shelter.

"It was an accident, not an enemy act," Lutfullah Mashal, an official from the National Directorate of Security (NDS) intelligence agency, told AFP.

"The blast happened in a depot for unexploded ordinance. It was totally an accident. There is no reported casualties, but there are some damages." The NDS said in a statement said that the depot contained explosives recently seized from insurgents and due to be taken to the Disbandment of Illegal Armed Group (DIAG) programme, which destroys illegal weapons and explosives.

An NDS spokesman told local television that the depot stored suicide vests, explosives and unexploded bombs. The interior ministry also confirmed the explosion was an accident. The blast came a day after a Taliban suicide bomber detonated an explosives-laden vehicle near a NATO military convoy entering Kabul airport, killing himself but causing no other deaths or injuries.

The airport houses another NATO base as well as operating civilian flights to cities including Dubai, New Delhi and Istanbul. Flights were delayed only briefly after the bomb exploded.

The Taliban, who regularly exaggerate casualty numbers, claimed responsibility via their main Twitter account for that attack, saying ten soldiers had been killed or injured.

Kabul has seen a recent drop in insurgent attacks after a series of high-profile strikes earlier this year, with the NDS claiming to have foiled several plots to launch complex strikes involving truck bombs and suicide gunmen.

A series of attacks earlier this year targeted foreign compounds, the Supreme Court, the airport and the presidential palace in the city.

NATO forces are withdrawing from Afghanistan after more than a decade of fighting the Taliban, but negotiations have stalled on a security accord that would allow some US and NATO troops to stay after 2014.

President Hamid Karzai was due to travel to India on Thursday, with US officials expressing hope that the Delhi government would be able to persuade him to sign the accord.

End.

 What do you think about the story ? Leave your comments!

Heading (Optional)
Your Comments: *

Your Name:*
E-mail (Optional):
City (Optional):
Country (Optional):
 
 
Field marked(*) are mandatory.
Note. The PakTribune will publish as many comments as possible but cannot guarantee publication of all. PakTribune keeps its rights reserved to edit the comments for reasons of clarity, brevity and morality. The external links like http:// https:// etc... are not allowed for the time being to be posted inside comments to discourage spammers.

  Speak Out View All
Artilce 6 and Musharraf Trail
Blocking Nato supply line
  Quick Vote Show Results
Question: "In view of the current situation do you think Talks with Taliban should take place only within the ambit of Article 4 of Objectives Resolution that defines our Common Purpose i.e. PM/ President down to all Pakistanis to work till we achieve the rights of Democracy, Freedom, Tolerance and Social Justice for all Pakistanis:"
Yes
No
 
Candid Corner
Exclusive by
Lt. Col. Riaz Jafri (Retd)
Drone kills 15 'Qaeda', three civilians in Yemen: security
Senior journalist Hamid Mir hurt in Karachi attack
Suggested Sites