Balochistan governor's rule will go by March 14
23 February, 2013
ISLAMABAD: Federal Law Minister Farooq H Naek said on Friday that the governor's rule in Balochistan would be lifted before March 14.
"The governor's rule was imposed for two months and now it's a legal and constitutional obligation to lift it in order to pave the way for a civilian caretaker set-up," Naek told reporters.
To a question, the minister ruled out the notion that any proposal had been under consideration to extend the governor's rule through parliament.
He said that an extension order was needed from parliament to keep the governor's rule imposed in Balochistan, but the government had no such intention.
The governor's rule was imposed in Balochistan following the killings of at least 100 people in three bomb blasts in Quetta city last month, targeting the Hazara community.
He said that no one had been nominated as a new leader of the house in Balochistan Assembly. He said that the House would itself elect a person for the office once the civilian government was restored.
Naek said that setting up a caretaker government ahead of announcing general election was a constitutional requirement, and the government had to undertake negotiations with the opposition parties and the speaker of the National Assembly to make that happen. He said that all steps would be taken in accordance with the constitution.