Pakistan News Service

Saturday Jul 20, 2019, Zul-qaadah 17, 1440 Hijri
Logo
LATEST :
Pakistan News Home -> Top -> News Details

Balochistan: SC concerned about missing persons

10 January, 2012

  Related News  
Forces start operation in Mastung, Panjgur
Shias refuse to bury the dead, six Levies men gunned down
  Related Articles  
Foreign Militancy in Balochistan
By Zaheerul Hassan
Bleeding Balochistan
By Dr Shahnaz Khan
  More on this View All

ISLAMABAD: Chief Justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, expressing concern over the worsening law and order situation in Balochistan, on Monday observed that the number of missing persons in the province was increasing day by day.

The chief justice also hinted at hearing the Balochistan target killing matter in the Quetta Registry of the Supreme Court. He said that uncertainty prevailed in the province as bullet-riddled bodies were found every day. The chief justice observed that the personnel of the law enforcement agencies were also being targeted in such incidents.

Justice Khilji Arif Hussain said that if the authorities had closed their eyes over the situation, then the court would be compelled to interfere in the matter.

After a long break, a three-member bench headed by the CJP heard the petition on Balochistan law and order and target killing filed by Balochistan High Court Bar Association President Hadi Shakeel Ahmed.

During the hearing, Balochistan Advocate General (AG) Amanullah Kunrani appeared before the bench and said that the authorities concerned were succeeded in nabbing the accused, who had burnt 15 passengers in Sibbi. He said that one lawyer had also been recovered.

He said that the provincial officials were trying their best to control the situation and hopefully it would be improved shortly.

The court inquired about the arrest of those persons, who were attacking the Hazara community. The AG replied that no progress had been made so far as it was a new issue. Upon this, the CJP said that it was not the new matter.

The court, adjourning the hearing of the case, sought a comprehensive report from the Balochistan chief secretary about worsening law and order until January 16.

According to an earlier report submitted by the chief secretary, 181 bodies were recovered in three years. The secretary said the government was preparing a policy in the light of recommendations prepared by a committee of senators Raza Rabbani, Wasim Sajjad and Mushahid Hussain.

He also said that 511 people had been injured in different incidents while the provincial government had disbursed Rs 136 million as compensation among the victims' families.

End.

 What do you think about the story ? Leave your comments!

Heading (Optional)
Your Comments: *

Your Name:*
E-mail (Optional):
City (Optional):
Country (Optional):
 
 
Field marked(*) are mandatory.
Note. The PakTribune will publish as many comments as possible but cannot guarantee publication of all. PakTribune keeps its rights reserved to edit the comments for reasons of clarity, brevity and morality. The external links like http:// https:// etc... are not allowed for the time being to be posted inside comments to discourage spammers.

  Speak Out View All
Military Courts
Imran - Qadri long march
 
Candid Corner
Exclusive by
Lt. Col. Riaz Jafri (Retd)
Pakistan itself a victim of state-sponsored terrorism: Qamar Bajwa
Should You Try Napping During the Workday?
Suggested Sites