Attack on Badaber base Peshawer
18 September, 2015
PESHAWAR: The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) camp at Inqalab road in Peshawar's Badaber area has come under attack early Friday.
Eight militants were killed by security forces, Director-General (DG) Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) Major-General Asim Bajwa said on Twitter.
Bajwa said 10 soldiers were injured during exchange of fire with terrorists, two of whom are officers.
Rescue sources, however, say 22 people have been injured, out of whom 20 have been shifted to CMH Peshawar and two have been taken to Lady Reading Hospital (LRH). An emergency has been declared in both hospitals. Dr Subhani at LRH said one unidentified body had been brought to the hospital.
A search operation for hidden terrorists is underway, Bajwa said. Corps Commander Lieutenant General Hidayatur Rehman conducted aerial surveillance of the base from a helicopter.
The attack was carried out by a group of seven to 10 terrorists, the DG ISPR said. Eyewitnesses claim they saw around six to seven terrorists dressed in black militia uniforms wearing white shoes.
Following the attack, a heavy contingent of the QRF reached the spot. An exchange of fire between the militants and security forces took place. The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police have cordoned off the area.
Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan spokesperson Muhammad Khurasani claimed responsibility for the attack in an email sent to journalists.
The DG ISPR said terrorists had attacked the guard room at the camp early in the morning. The QRF reached the scene and surrounded the attackers, isolating them.
The terrorists had been engaged and confined to a small area around the guard room area of the camp.
Bajwa said eight terrorists had been killed, while 10 security personnel were injured.
Chief of Army Staff General Raheel Sharif is in Peshawar. He visited the Corps Headquarters and met with troops participating in the clearance operation.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif strongly condemned the attack on the Badaber airforce camp.
Nawaz reiterated the nation's resolve to continue its mission of eliminating terrorism with zeal.
The premier said he is being kept updated on the ongoing operation against terrorists. He said the armed forces of the county have the full support of the entire nation and that networks of terrorists would soon be eliminated from Pakistan.
On Aug 16, 2012 militants armed with rocket-propelled grenades and automatic weapons had carried out a brazen attack under cover of darkness on the Minhas base of the PAF at Kamra. The TTP had claimed responsibility for the assault on Kamra air base.
Peshawar suffered the worst terror attack in Pakistani history in December 2014 when TTP gunmen massacred more than 150 people, most of them children, at an army-run school.
But recently then there has been a lull in violence. The last deadly attack in the city came in February when three heavily armed Taliban militants stormed a Shia mosque, killing 21 people.
Military operation Zarb-i-Azb was launched against insurgent hideouts in North Waziristan on June 15 following a brazen militant attack on Karachi's international airport and the failure of peace talks between the government and TTP negotiators.
Officials say nearly 3,000 militants have been killed since the launch of the latest offensive.
The number of attacks in Pakistan has fallen around 70 percent this year, due to a combination of a military offensive against Taliban bases along the Afghan border and government initiatives to tackle militancy.