Allies say 45 rebels killed, Taliban claim killing 35 troops
28 September, 2012
KABUL: Combined force killed 45 armed rivals during separate operations throughout the past 24 hours, interior ministry said Thursday. Taliban, however, rejected the interior ministry claim as false.
The combined for also detained 32 rivals and recovered huge quantity of arms and ammunition during the operation conducted in Kandahar, Uruzgan, Wardak, Ghazni, Ghor and Helmand provinces, the interior ministry said in a statement.
Meanwhile, police chief of Ghor province, Dilawar Shah Dilawr, told Afghan Islamic Press (AIP) that the operation launched against Taliban in Daulina district two days ago was ongoing.
He said four commanders among 20 rivals were killed during the operation so far, adding 67 kilometer of area was cleared from Taliban.
Taliban spokesman Qari Muhammad Yousaf Ahmadi rejected Afghan officials claim and told Afghan Islamic Press (AIP) that only five Taliban were killed and four wounded during the three days operation in Daulina district.
He claimed that 35 government troops were killed during the clashes.
Ahmadi also disputed the interior ministry claim and said they lost only three fighters during the past 24 hours in whole country..
Taliban also reported tens of attacks against Afghan and foreign forces in Ghor, Zabul, Laghman, Kapisa, Badakhshan, Helmand, Kandahar, Logar, Herat, Faryab, Kunar, Paktika, Punjsher, Paktia, Khost, Farah, Kunduz and Ningarhar province.
They claimed that a large number Afghan and foreign troops were killed in these attacks.
The claims of Afghan authorities and Taliban could not be independently verified.