Air raids by Saudi-led coalition killed 15 people in Sanaa
20 September, 2015
SANAA: Air raids by Saudi-led coalition warplanes killed 15 people in Yemen’s capital in one of the heaviest nights of bombardment in months, aid workers and witnesses said on Saturday. One rescuer told AFP at least 10 civilians were among the dead.
“Ten members of the same family were killed in the Al-Falihi neighbourhood, in Sanaa’s old town,” he said. Residents said four houses were destroyed by a bomb and that 15 other buildings were damaged.
Witnesses said five Huthi rebels were killed in a raid on their position in the capital, which the fighters seized last year.
A Saudi-led coalition has conducted air strikes on rebel positions across Yemen since March and has provided troops, training and heavy weapons to forces seeking to reinstate exiled President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.
Residents of Sanaa’s Al-Hassaba neighbourhood said coalition jets conducted several sorties overnight, targeting an interior ministry building and a police station.
A residence of ousted president Ali Abdullah Saleh, whose forces have allied with the Huthis, was also bombed, as well as an office of his political party, according to residents. In central Zubeiri Street, an army communications office was hit for the first time by the coalition.
The building has been used by the pro-Huthi Saba news agency, as well as other media outlets, according to a rebel spokesman.
In the southern neighbourhood of Hadda, the Omani ambassador’s residence was hit during an air strike targeting the nearby home of a Huthi official, residents said.
A spokesman from Oman’s foreign ministry condemned the attack, the ONA news agency reported, without saying whether the envoy was at home at the time.
“Oman calls on the United Nations to take all measures to end the war in Yemen,” the spokesman said. Oman, the only Gulf state that does not belong to the coalition, has offered to host planned UN-mediated peace talks between the government and rebels.