AfghanTaliban-US to have new round of talks in Qatar today
01 May, 2019
The Afghan Taliban and the United States are likely to begin a new round of talks in Qatar today (Wednesday) to hold detailed discussions on withdrawal of foreign troops and to stop terrorism from Afghan soil against other countries.
Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen did not reply when a query was posted on WhatsApp for confirmation. Zabihullah Mujahid, who reports about Taliban activities, did not confirm, but said he was “making efforts to get information”. Taliban and US negotiators in their last round of talks from February 25 to March 12 had reported “progress” in the longest round, but failed to reach any agreement.
The Taliban had stated earlier that “extensive and detailed discussions” had taken place on two issues – withdrawal of all foreign forces from Afghanistan and preventing anyone from harming others from Afghan soil – and how and when will all foreign forces exit Afghanistan and through what method?
They said both sides had also reviewed options as to how the United States and its allies would be given assurances about post-withdrawal Afghanistan. The Taliban and the US peace envoy Zalmay Khalilzad will be meeting for the first time after the Taliban launched the spring offensive in April that marked beginning of the fighting season Khalilzad had condemned the Taliban offensive “Al-Fatah” and had also urged Pakistan and Qatar to condemn the Taliban decision.