8 ANA troops die in rebel attacks
19 November, 2012
KABUL: Eight Afghan National Army (ANA) troops were killed in different incidents of violence in Kunar and Faryab provinces, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said on Sunday.
Five soldiers were killed in a bomb attack on an ANA patrol in the Ghormach district of Faryab, the ministry said, adding that another five troops were wounded. The injured were evacuated to hospital.
A Taliban spokesman, Qari Yousaf Ahmadi, said a large number of Afghan soldiers were killed during insurgent attacks in Andkhoi and Ghormach districts. However, he did not give specific casualty figures.
In the eastern province of Kunar, the militants killed three soldiers, who had been kidnapped three days ago, a military spokesman, Col. Noman Hatifi, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The soldiers' bodies were found Sunday morning, according to Hatifi, who said the victims hailed from northern Afghanistan.
Meanwhile Afghan security forces, backed by International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) troops, killed 16 insurgents in a string of operations across the country, the Ministry of Interior said on Sunday.
The operations were conducted in Kabul, Laghman, Faryab, Kandahar, Zabul, Maidan Wardak, Ghazni, Paktika and Helmand provinces over the past 24 hours. Eight insurgents were wounded and four others detained.
During the offensives, police seized two machine guns, 22 AK-47 assault rifles, one radio handset, 260 rounds, seven different types of landmines, one motorcycle and a vehicle, a statement from the ministry said.
A suspected insurgent was killed by the explosives he was planting on a roadside in the Cholan village on the outskirts of Khost City, the capital of Khost southeastern province.