360 civilians killed in Helmand in one year
02 March, 2013
LASHKARGAH: Nearly, 1,170 people, most of them insurgents, were killed in separate security incidents during the ongoing Afghan calendar year in Afghanistan's southern Helmand province, an official said.
Provincial police chief, Col. Abdul Nabi Ilham, gave the figure while releasing an annual report at a news conference in Lashkargah, the provincial capital, late on Thursday.
The dead included 360 civilians, 38 police and 763 armed rebels, he said, adding most of police and civilian casualties inflicted were caused by roadside bombs planted by the militants.
Col. Ilham said 541 civilians and 138 insurgents had been injured and another 245 militants detained during operations since March 2012.
He added: "As result of improving police capacity, we are better performing our duties.
We defused more than 3,000 landmines and seized 108 motorbikes, eight vehicles and 200 weapons."
The police chief said the crime graph had declined in the province after the arrest and referral of outlaws to judicial organs.