3 killed in Taliban attack on US base
19 December, 2013
KABUL: At least three people were killed early Wednesday morning as Afghan Taliban insurgent group launched a complex attack on a U.S. forces' supply base in eastern province of Nangarhar, the second attack on the same base in two months, sources said.
"Militants numbered four or five armed with suicide jackets, rocket propelled grenade (RPG) and heavily weapons raided a coalition base in bordering town of Torkham in border area with Pakistan at early Wednesday morning," a security source told Xinhua on conditions of anonymity.
One Afghan policeman and two attackers were killed and three policemen were injured in the attack which occurred at around 5:30 a.m. (local time), the local media quoted the Torkham police chief as saying.
Following the attack, a Taliban purported spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, claimed the responsibility for the incident.
The gunfight was going on at the time of filing this report in the province with Jalalabad city as its capital, 120 km east of Afghan capital Kabul.
Security forces have cordoned off the area for precautionary measures. Shotlry after the attack, the Jalalabad-Torkham highway, a key roadway for local and foreign troops' logistic and supply convoys, had been blocked, witnesses said.
A witness said the blasts caused a plume of grey smoke to rise above the scene.
The base is a complex where foreign forces' vehicles and logistic and supply trucks station there.
The Taliban-led insurgency has been rampant since the militant group launched rebel offensive in April against Afghan government forces and more than 84,000 NATO-led troops stationed in the country.
On Sept. 2, more than 40 trucks were destroyed and three militants were killed in similar attack on the same base for which Taliban claimed responsibility.