3 Haqqani militants killed in Paktia raid Four rebels perished by own explosives
08 October, 2012
KHOST: Three fighters of the Haqqani network were killed and two others injured during an operation in the Garda Serai district of southeastern Paktia province, the Afghan National Army said on Sunday.
The operation was jointly conducted by Afghan and International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) troops, the Khost-based 203rd Thunder Military Crops said in a statement.
The militants were loyal to Commander Abdullah, according to the statement, which said civilians were not harmed during the operation.
Resident Hikmatullah said a clash took place between the insurgents and coalition forces on Saturday night. He added both sides suffered casualties, but gave no further information.
Meanwhile, four suspected rebels were killed by the explosives they were planting on the side of a road in the Chak district of central Maidan Wardak province on Sunday, an official said.
The roadside bombs they were planting in Zarni area went off prematurely at around 5am, provincial police chief, Brig. Gen. Abdul Qayyum Baqizoy, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
He said several armed insurgents had been killed and over 50 weapons seized over the past week in different parts of the province.
Also on Monday, an operation was launched today to ensure highway security in the province, the police chief said, adding insecure areas would be cleared of rebels.
Separately, two children were killed after militants attacked the house of a security guard of the municipality in Ghazni City, said Syed Amir Shah Sadat, the intelligence director. The guard’s 14-years old son and eight years old daughter were killed.
Eyewitness Ziaullah said the attack was carried out by two motorcyclists at a time when the guard’s son was entering his house. The attackers managed to flee.