13,000 girls deprived of education
15 March, 2013
KHOST CITY: Nearly 13,000 girls in southeastern Khost province were deprived of education during last academic year as a result of defunct schools, the education director acknowledged on Thursday.
Bakht Noor Bakhtiar told civil society activists and media representatives, as part of the governor's directives to reveal information about education activities to the media, that his department had enrolled the girls to classes in every village of the province.
But they could not learn a thing because the classes had been confined only to paperwork and in reality no class had taken place, he said, citing viewpoints of the residents concerned.
However, Bakhtiar said his department planned to launch classes for the deprived girls again this academic year and ensure such practices were avoided next time.
He asked civil society groups, journalists, tribal elders and religious scholars to cooperate with the education department in strengthening girl's education in Khost.