1,235 measles cases, 56 deaths confirmed in Sindh
30 December, 2012
KARACHI: Sindh Health Minister Dr Saghir Ahmed has confirmed 1235 cases of measles and only 56 deaths caused by it across the province.
According to an official handout issued on Saturday, minister said anti-measles vaccination drive had been launched in seven districts of the province during which 130,004 children had so far been vaccinated. 'A total of 411519 children of 9 month to 10 years of age would be vaccinated during the drive," he said.
He said more than 20 camps had been set up in Sukkur, Khairpur, Shikarpur, Larkana, Qambar, Jacobabad and Kashmore districts where health secretary Aftab Khatri and DG Health Feroze Memon were supervising the vaccination personally.
Minister appealed the general public to approach the hospitals immediately if they notice the symptoms of measles.
Meanwhile, reports from across the province suggest that number of deaths due to measles outbreak has increased to over 70.
Ten children have died of measles in different villages of Ghotki and Mirpur Mathelo including Sobdar Khuhwar, Soomro colony, Koro Mahar, Sherabad, Khushhal Waseer, Gul Beg Gadani, Dad Laghari and Ahmed Bux Gurgage.
The names of deceased children are Asim, Zeeshan, Kashif, Imran, Owais, Nazia, Alisha, Hayat, Muskan, Bilawal and others.