10 minors, four women killed in fresh ISAF bombardments
08 May, 2012
KABUL: Ten children and four women were killed in recent bombardments of the foreign forces in western Badghis and southern Helmand provinces of Afghanistan, officials and area residents said Monday.
Abdul Rauf, a resident of Nawbar area, Balamurghab district, Badghis province told the Afghan Islamic Press (AIP) the foreign forces conducted bombardment in Shahri village yesterday, leaving eight persons dead and nine more injured.
"ISAF aircrafts conducted bombed on few houses in Shahri village at around 11 AM yesterday. Five minors and three women were killed and nine more, all of them women and children, injured in the blitz. All the men of the houses had gone to bazaars. That's the reason all the dead and injured were women and children," he said.
"Right now I am attending their condolence reference," he maintained.
He said the local authorities and an ISAF commander visited the area where the people told them that the dead, all of them women and children, were civilians.
An elderly man of the area condemned the incident and told the Afghan Islamic Press (AIP) the bombardment was conducted on houses of Ahmad Shah, Abdullah, Abdul Qudoos, Muhammad Ameer and Mirza Gul, adding all the dead and injured belonged to these families.
He said the injured had been taken to a hospital for treatment.
Meanwhile, the district chief of Sangin, Muhammad Shairf Tuesday told the Afghan Islamic Press (AIP) aircrafts of the foreign forces bombed a house in Payan Kaily area in Sangin district, leaving a woman and her five children dead. He said the dead children included three girls and two boys.
The fresh incidents of civilian casualties as a result of bombardment by the foreign forces came at a time when on one side the Afghan President Hamid Karzai has repeatedly urged the foreign forces to protect lives of civilians in their operations while on the other hand the US-Afghan strategic partnership agreement has reached the Afghan parliament for discussions.
Such incidents can increase reaction against the US among the parliamentarians.
Meanwhile, the first secretary of the Wolesi Jirga, Abdul Sattar Khawasi, while talking about the recent bombardments in Helmand and Badghis provinces, said some parliamentarians are already against the US-Afghanistan strategic partnership agreement, and that such incidents would make their stance stronger.
A parliamentarian, Engineer Sahib Jan told the Afghan Islamic Press (AIP) such incidents would increases problems for the parliamentarians when they will hold discussions on the US-Afghanistan strategic partnership agreement.
He said people would not appreciate their representatives at that time, and would say the foreign forces kill civilians in their attacks while the parliament is approving agreement with them.
It's pertinent to mention here that women and children have several times suffered casualties in such bombardments in the past.
ISAF has not published any details about bombardment in Badghis and Helmand provinces till filling of this report.